Friday, September 4, 2009

It begins...

Here I am… I am blogging – wow. There is not much to say at the moment, but it will come. I have wanted to do this for a while and I guess a combination of “what will people think” and “How do I do it anyway and not make a fool of myself” combined to stop me. Recently, I attended a webinar on blogging and got some do’s and don’ts and I watch Julia and Julie and that was encouraging as well. So let’s give it a whirl (as my Dad would have said).

There is the fear of being a fool, since I am Information Technology professional. I have two degrees in Computer Science and have been working with computers since I was in seventh grade – 1967-1968. I should know how to do this stuff, but sometimes the world moves faster than I like and things get beyond me.

Anyway here I am… I am searching for things that simplify life. I think that is my attraction to technology. It simplifies things – when it works well. Sometimes it makes life more complicated especially when it does not work as expected. Please enter into the conversation and together the world might be a better place.

Peace,
Steve

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steve! I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I began working with computers around 1970, majored in Computer Science in college, and had a career as a systems analyst. I wasn't afraid of looking foolish if I blogged, but I was afraid that I might invest time, sweat, and emotion into writing stuff that no one read.

    I researched technologies and narrowed it down to Movable Type, Wordpress, and Blogger. I spent weeks creating and tweaking a Wordpress blog before coming to the realization that the complexity was greater than I was willing to put up with. Template changes, upgrades, patches, security, bugs, and coding were all things I didn't want to deal with. I wanted a simple, easy blog, for which my efforts could be spent on the content rather than on the platform. I deleted all of my Wordpress work and used Blogger instead. I see you made the same decision. Blogger is a good choice for someone seeking the simple life.

    I struggled with what I wanted to say and how often I wanted to say it. Finally I decided to post infrequently, whenever I solved a problem, gained some new useful knowledge, or read a book I wanted to share. I started in March 2006. My five most popular posts are: "Vista Service Pack 1 Failure Installation Error 0xc01a001d", "Avast! Antivirus Version 4.8 Problems", "Cataract Surgery - What to Expect, Details, Costs", "Bats, Bat Removal, Bat Behavior", and "BitDefender Antivirus: Review of Problems". Here's that first blog: Orts.

    Good luck with your efforts. I'm proud to add your first comment.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete