Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

I really don’t like Labor Day. I get the celebration of the American Worker and the celebration of our productivity. It’s the “End of the summer” thing. I just hate it.

Growing up, I spent my summers in Cape May Point, NJ – free as a bird with little cares in the world - thanks to my parents’ provision. The trouble came when the summer ended and we had to leave Cape May Point to come home and go to school and endure the winter. There was no sailing, no water skiing, no swimming, no body surfing, no fun. Just cold weather, bleak dried up trees and plants, and school. Now school itself was not bad. I loved learning and finding out new things. It was just the people. I just never seemed to get along with anyone except those at the shore.

This pattern is so deep; I get grumpy during Labor Day weekend. I just expect that new nip of cold in the air to bring all those things that made me sad as a child and teenager. So here we go into the winter. Are you ready? I’m not.

That being said, Mary Chris and I spent the most glorious day in Cape May on Saturday. The weather was perfect – blue sky, warm sun and nice breeze. It started with a perfect omelet at McGlades on the boardwalk in Cape May. I had a wonderful walk on the beach in Cape May Point and then soaked in the Bay - followed by a short nap in my mother’s house. We had our dinner at the picnic area near the ferry. The sun just gleamed off the Delaware Bay. The breeze came in off the Bay. Wow it was beautiful

Peace

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment